Common Council member Fred Visconti pulled a sleeping man out of bed while the man's bedroom burned during a fire this afternoon on Mountainville Avenue.
"Talk to Fred Visconti, he's the hero," said J.R. Mitchell, the owner of the house that caught fire at 12:05 p.m. today.
Mitchell was not in the house at the time, but his two sons, Rob, 18 and A.J., 21, were in their bedrooms. A.J. said he was listening to music in his first-floor room when he heard the smoke detector alarm.
He went upstairs to his brother Rob's room, saw smoke, and yelled for his brother to get out of the house.
A,J, ran out of the house to call 911, only to realize his brother was still upstairs.
Meanwhile, Visconti, a retired firefighter who lives about three houses away, spotted the smoke while in his backyard.
He went to the house and made his way upstairs to Rob, who was still asleep as his bedroom burned around him.
"I had to grab him out of bed," said Visconti, his face still smeared with soot. "Once he was up, he realized what was going on and he got out."
Rob Mitchell was taken to Danbury Hospital, where he is being treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns, according to fire officials.
The second floor of the house suffered extensive fire damage.
Deputy Fire Marshal James Johnson is investigating and as of 1:30 p.m. firefighters were still on the scene.
Way to go Fred!
Time: 2:32 PM
Hat City Blog | READ, WATCH, AND LEARN.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.