In the end, common sense prevails.
Lender, Hartford Courant:
The Malloy administration's plan to permanently close two I-84 rest areas in Willington on July 1 – on the way to closing all seven of Connecticut's noncommercial rest areas on interstate highways in the next two years – will be scrapped and they will all stay open, the legislature's transportation committee co-chairman, Rep. Antonio Guerrera, D-Rocky Hill, said Wednesday morning.
Contacted by the Courant about his week-long fight to reverse the plan, Guerrera confirmed Wednesday morning that amended language has been prepared to undo part of a budget-implementation bill passed earlier this week. The language provided for the closing of the two Willington areas, one on each side of I-84, on the eve of a big holiday weekend when drivers take to the highways. The amended language is to be approved today, on the last day of the 2011 legislative session, he said.
But even beyond the technical language, Guerrera said "the administration has assured me that the rest areas all will stay open" – not just the two to be immediately closed in Willington, but also the other five set for closing in the following fiscal year beginning July 1, 2012. The other five are: on I-84 in Danbury and Southington; on I-91 in Middletown and Wallingford; and on I-95 in North Stonington.
"I'm just happy to have worked this out with the administration," Guerrera said.
I'm happy that the Malloy administration came to their senses but closing the rest areas was a bad idea from the beginning and hopefully this ill-advised proposal will not be considered in the future.