Press release from City Center:
FIRST NIGHT DANBURY 2011-2012 ANNOUNCES BUTTON DESIGN CONTEST
Danbury, CT - As First Night Danbury enters its 22nd year as the city's popular family friendly, alcohol free New Year's Eve celebration, it's "Looking Up & Moving Forward." That's this year's theme, a nod to the fest's venerable history, its artistic and community regrowth, and to the Danbury Main Street Partnership, for which it serves as a year-end acknowledgement of the ongoing excitement of what's happening downtown. This year, the First Night Night Danbury 2011-2012 edition returns to the tradition of creating its buttons and advertising campaign using an original and thematic image created by a regional artist, whether amateur or pro.
Contest rules are simple:
- Anyone may enter, from toddlers to seniors, living down the street or regionally;
- The image must be original, eye catching, easily reproducible, and reflect this year's theme, "Looking Up & Moving Forward," and may be produced in any medium - crayon, oil, photo, collage;
- Submissions must be 8-1/2 by 11 inches only - on paper, canvas, cardboard, tin or other material;
- The artist may choose to include the words "First Night Danbury 2011-2012" and/or "Looking Up & Moving Forward," but it's not necessary;
- Please mark back of submission with name, age (if under 18), address, phone and email contact;
- Submissions may be hand delivered or mailed (Do Not Bend) to First Night Danbury, CityCenter, 186 Main Street, Danbury, CT 06810, no later than September 1st, 2011;
- All submissions become the property of First Night Danbury and will be exhibited during this year's new year's eve celebration.
A jury of noted Danbury artists and officials will select this year's button design, and the winner will be named from the stage at "Taste of Danbury" on Sunday, September 11th. Besides the artist's button design serving as the visual ambassador for First Night, s/he will receive a follow up media release and photo blast, and 8 buttons to bring family and friends to First Night Danbury 2011-2012.
New Year's is just around the corner, and First Night is already "Looking Up & Moving Forward." First Night Danbury is presented at many CityCenter venues from
4:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., with fireworks to follow at 8:30 p.m. The celebration is sponsored in part, by the Danbury Cultural Commission, Union Savings Bank, News Times, CityCenter Danbury, and many local businesses.