"He who represents himself has a fool for a client." - Abraham Lincoln
Earth to McGowan: Playing time is OVER!
Five jurors have been selected so far in the state Superior Court trial of cable television talk show host and one-time Danbury mayoral candidate John McGowan, who is accused of sexually assaulting his then-girlfriend in New Milford nearly three years ago.
Three men and two women were accepted by both Senior Assistant State's Attoney David Shannon, the prosecutor, and by McGowan, who is serving as his own attorney, before the lunch recess Wednesday.
Three more jurors, one regular member and two alternates, must be chosen before testimony begins next week.
The 44-year-old defendant, who currently lives in Bethel where he runs an oil business, is accused of forcing the victim to have anal sex with him at a home he was building in New Milford in October 2008. McGowman contends the sex was consensual.
The defendant, who tried unsuccessfully to get the case dismissed using a variety of anti-government theories, got off to a rocky start in questioning the first few potential jurors, requiring the judge's assistance in properly framing his questions.
He also drew several rebukes from Ginocchio for seeking the advice of supporters in the gallery as to whether he should accept or reject some potential jurors.
"You can't communicate with anyone in the courtroom," Ginocchio said, noting he was trying to eliminate any jurors whose answers indicated they wouldn't be impartial.
For those who don't know, McGowan was the 2007 former mayoral candidate and infamous anti-immigrant whack-job who was the co-founder/former Vice President of the United States Citizens for Immigration and Law Enforcement hate-group, former treasurer of Paul Streitz's anti-immigration/hate group Connecticut Citizens for Immigration and Law Enforcement, and prominent figure in the xenophobic movement in the greater Danbury area.
From using his laughable pseudo-law defense, to his entourage of American Sovereignty goofballs, local bigots, and outcasts, McGowan's actions at various court appearances, which received national attention, have been bizarre to say the least.
...and after almost of two years of waiting, McGowan's rape trial is set to begin NEXT WEEK and should take only FIVE DAYS!
NOTE: I haven't been able to attend McGowan's last two court appearances but I plan to be there every day providing live updates of the trial once opening statements are underway.
UPDATE: Opening statements are set for NEXT WED at 9:30 AM
- McGowan harass marchers, desecrates Mexican flag at 2006 immigration rally
- McGowan joins racist local access personality Tom "Big T" Bennett in inciting people to harm members of the immigrant community.
- Fairfield Weekly mocks McGowan's campaign for mayor.
- Elise Marciano anti-immigrant group members applaud while speaker advocates placing immigrants in WW-II style concentration camps.
- Court trial day seven: Jury trial
- Court trial day six: Motions denied
- Court trial day five: Endless Endless subpoenas and bizarre motions to dismiss
- LITCHFIELD REGISTER-CITIZEN: Local man accused of rape is competent for trial
- NEWS-TIMES: McGowan found competent to stand trial in New Milford rape case
- Court trial day two: Excuses, excuses
- Court trial day one: Strange behavior, disturbing arrest warrant affidavit
- McGowan arrested, charged with first-degree sexual assault