LOCAL ACCESS VIDEO: Progressive Soup interview with Jason Bartlett
Time: 11:01 AM
Petitioning Boughton for a skateboard park? Don't hold your breath!
Time: 9:19 AM
![]() — YooItsSteven via web |
![]() — MayorMark via TweetDeck |
Currently there is a petition going around asking our dishonest mayor to look into creating a LONG OVERDUE skateboard park...the only problem is that they are asking the one person who could care less about the idea.
Reagrdless of what the Danbury's most dishonest public official is babbling in response to the skateboard petition on Twitter, he has his pawns on the city council have been blocking an ad-hoc committee requested by council Democrats from meeting FOR OVER A YEAR!
News-Times, Feb. 7 2011
Members of the City Council have established a committee to review conditions at local parks and examine future needs. Council member Fred Visconti, who proposed the creation of the committee with council member Duane Perkins, said needs that constituents have identified at Rogers Park prompted the request. Those needs, he said, include more parking and building basketball courts and a skate park. "I realize we don't have the money to address all these needs, but if we could take a look at them then we'd have a plan for the future," Visconti said.Whenever Boughton wants something he gets his pawms on the council in order and they pass whatever he wants at warp speed BUT when it comes to something he either dislikes or a proposal that didn't originate his his thick skull, the plan will never see the light of day.He added that it has been some time since the city reviewed its rules and regulations for the parks.
"It's time to go over the regulations and see if there are any problems," Visconti said.
[...]
The ad hoc committee, which was created during last week's City Council meeting, has yet to meet.
In short don't believe Boughton's hype...more later.
Venue closing sparks outrage
Time: 11:23 AM
HEIRLOOM ARTS THEATRE, an all-ages independent music venue located in downtown Danbury, Connecticut, is closed until further notice following a police raid that took place on Saturday night.
The venue was holding a hip hop and graffiti art show when police entered the venue to inspect reports of alcohol sales. According to Zoning Enforcement Officer Sean Hearty, the building, located at 155 Main Street, has been zoned as an entertainment center since 2001 and cannot legally sell alcohol. The inspection, which was a joint effort between the police and the Mayor's office, showed the venue was selling alcohol with a caterer's permit and was subsequently shut down by police, Hearty said.
UPDATE, 6:12pm: Hearty called to say that the inspection was a joint effort between the police and the Zoning Department, not the Mayor's Office.
Hearty could not confirm that underage drinking was also taking place at the venue. Calls to the Danbury Police Department for comment were not returned, and police reports about the incident were not available this afternoon.
Hearty explained that the Heirloom's zoning permit has been revoked and a hearing will take place to determine the venue's future.
"At the very least there will be a temporary suspension [of their permit]," he said in a phone interview.
The raid at Heirloom, which has been open since 2008, came just weeks after the Mayor proposed a new license to the Danbury Main Street Partnership that would allow night clubs and bars exactly like Heirloom to open downtown this coming fall. Currently, new bars can only open as accessories to restaurants, so there is no way for Heirloom to serve alcohol and abide by the downtown area's zoning regulations.
When asked if Heirloom's case might be considered in a different light now that a new entertainment license is on the table for downtown Danbury, Hearty said probably not.
"No, there's no grey area here," he said. "It's not like it's a restaurant also being run as a night club. I don't perceive an impact, but that's the Mayor's call."
Staff from Heirloom did not return calls for comment.
UPDATE, 6:55pm: Heirloom Arts Theatre stated that the venue is anxious to meet with Zoning, fulfull any needed requirements and reopen for business.
This story has sparked outrage online with many people accusing the mayor as the master mind behind the raid.
...developing.
LOCAL ACCESS VIDEO: Community Forum 06.14.12
Time: 8:40 PM
Hat City Blog | READ, WATCH, AND LEARN.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.
PEOPLE-POWERED MEDIA.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License