Seems like there is a great deal of misinformation regarding the immigration battle in Danbury between the years of 2005-2010.
I'll make this simple...I was one of a VERY small handful of reporters/bloggers who say that they were at virtually EVERY single event that involved immigration in the city..and of that group, I'm the ONLY one still around.
A sample of some of the events I covered include:
* 2005 Danbury March In Unity
* 2006 May Day March
* Danbury 11 arrest. the rally, and court case
* Stop the Raids Rally at WCSU
*Formation, height and fall of the anti-immigration hate groups CT Citizens for Immigration Control (Paul Streitz) and the United States Citizens for Immigration and Law Enforcement (Elise Marciano).
* Anti-immigrant forum at Roger's Park School and at WCSU
* ICE ACCESS forums, (including debates and final vote on the proposal at the common council)
* Attack on Hispanic Center and it's director Maria Cinta Lowe
* Formation, height, and fall of the immigrant rights group Danbury Partnership for Unity/Danbury Alliance.
* Infiltrating and secret recordings of anti-immigrant meetings.
* Danbury GOP racist email scandal.
* Threats on my life by members of the same anti-immigrant group.
* Implementation of the Secure Communities program (which in many ways replaced 287g).
Over the years, I painstakingly videotaped all of these events as well as many other events surrounding the issue of immigration that occurred in Danbury as well as archived any and all documents, news video footage, and news articles on the subject...and I posted all of my work online.
Recently, there's been some rather breath-taking revisionist history regarding what actually transpired during those very difficult years in the city; some people are overstating their participation in opposing anti-immigrant efforts while demonizing others based on personal petty grievances. At the same time, people are spreading mischaracterizations about the things that happened in the city.
This can not be allowed to happen...and I will not allow it to happen on my watch. Too many people suffered because of that dark moment in Danbury's history...I haven't forgotten...and I'll challenge ANYONE who tries to distort the truth about what actually happened.
First and final warning...